Tuesday, July 14, 2009

If Anyone Has Ears to Hear...


Joy finally arrived! Sara, too! Praise God that they made it safe and sound. Joy and I went to Love Kitchen today. Sara didn't make it since she arrived much later in the day. Both of us finally got to meet Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is in charge of the Love Kitchen and is also a board member of the Food Bank for New York.
Today Joy and I distributed bags of food to the people. I felt kind of bad, seeing how many people were turned away due to registration and issues. This system may not be perfect but it is the best that we have. I also got a chance to talk to one of the people that was eating. His name was Ray. Most of the time, I was listening to what he was saying about how life was OK to him. I ended up just listening to Ray the whole time. And it made me realize, once again, just how important it is to listen to others. Just like how I like to have others listen to me, others like to be listened to as well. Just being able to listen to someone, and not necessarily need to do anything, is so powerful. Because, sometimes, that is just what we need to do: listen.
"The Lord says: Don't boast about your wisdom or strength or wealth. If you feel you must boast, them have enough sense to boast about worshiping me, the Lord. what I like the best is showing kindness, justice, and mercy to everyone on earth." Jeremiah 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment