Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"A Costco in the South Bronx"



Walking through the World Vision Storehouse was like shopping at Costco. The warehouse is an amazing collection of gifts-in-kind, mostly essentials (and hundreds of WWE belt buckles and other paraphernalia) for community groups, schools, and churches. I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat when Sal (who's in charge of the warehouse, I believe) told us we could help assemble furniture. I LOVE assembling furniture, so needless to say, I was uber excited. At home, I used to assemble all the desks, bookshelves, cabinets, and other storage units my family bought. At school, I only had the luxury of putting together a shoe rack, because my dorm room was already furnished. Even though I had to leave early and did not get to see the final product, I had a lot of fun with Hei-Yue and Winston putting together a cabinet. It also made me really happy to see volunteers from another church there as well, also assembling furniture. I think that the furniture and everything else in the Storehouse's inventory (OK, maybe not the belt buckles) can dramatically impact people's lives. Even though I only stayed there an hour, it was definitely worth it.

1 comment: