Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Check Your Foundation Before Fueling the Fire




This was supposed to be a day, or night rather, of rest. Jonathan Walton (director of NYCUP) talked about stoking the flames of the fire to ensure that the foundation is still intact, rather than always adding more fuel to the fire and then burning out too quickly as a consequence. The parallel to our current state of mind is that we should reflect in peaceful silence on what God has been revealing to us lately rather than merely accumulating more and more knowledge and passion and then burning out easily. But tonight didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to for me.

I finished reading “Not for Sale.” I recommend this book to anyone who is willing to be disturbed, moved, and inspired. I recommend this book to anyone who is willing to be disturbed by the injustice in this world, moved by those who took the initiative to fight this injustice, and inspired enough to make a difference themselves.

After the couple of hours of reflection and restoration, the whole house came together to share about what God had been placing on our hearts. I shared that through reading this book, God was showing me how ignorant, indifferent and fearful I had been before reading it. What did I know about the slave trade, sexual slavery, human trafficking? Even if I did know, what did it matter to me in this present moment- it didn’t affect me personally or break my heart to do anything about it? And even if it did matter to me, how could I, the most ignorant and least influential person of all, do anything about it?

Reading “Not for Sale” allowed God to break my heart to see the pain and suffering that others have been and are currently going through. I saw how distant I was from truly loving others. How could I not have known? How could I have stood idly by instead of researching to find out more or spreading awareness about this global issue? How could I be comfortable enough in my life to not be desperate about this injustice and pray to God that He would show me a way in which I could use my gifts or skills or connections to fight this crime and liberate people from slavery and thus ultimately glorify God’s own name? In the ending chapters of the book, Batstone wrote that “social movements take root and blossom when enough individuals take personal action. When you tell yourself that there is nothing that you can do to arrest the global slave trade, you underestimate your own potential and abandon hope for those trapped in captivity” (269). I add that God can use all of us for change, and that we must trust that He will provide us with whatever we lack. God wants us to search for a vocation, a calling rather than a career (architecture, law, psychology, linguistics). Whatever cause it may be, whatever gifts I may have, doing everything for God. I tend to overcommit to so many things, but I am praying that in whatever I do, I may be able to serve God in helping to heal the brokenness of others as He has healed me."

- Narai

No comments:

Post a Comment