Sunday, May 31, 2009

Driven By Love

Born into a broken home in Brodnax, Virginia, I witnessed disparities in wealth and opportunity and my initial reaction was anger, and I believe strong emotion is the initial reaction of most of us when we encounter systemic injustices that fracture our society and build racial, ethnic, gender and socioeconomic walls between us. Driven by this anger and a sense of entitlement I strove to do well but only grew tired and frustrated at the slow and lonely progress. Similarly, as pumping fists grow tired and loud voices grow weary, it's everthemore difficult to continue whatever the movement may be. It was only after a near-death experience as I flew through the air on a Harley-Davidson that I realized that life was a gift to be treasured, protected and promoted regardless of the sacrifice involved -- and not just my singular life but the lives of all people as none of us exist separate from one another. Likewise, it is with movements. There must be a stronger motivating factor than selfish ambition, anger or personal entitlement. Love is what lives among the nuns who live in the leper colonies in India, sat in the cell with Martin Luther King, and more importantly held Christ to the Cross at Calvary. In the Apostle Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, he says this: 



1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.


It is with love that we feed the hungry, serve the poor and advocate for those not quite loud enough for the microphones to hear. It is with love that we look past exteriors and transform problems into people, issues into individuals, and bring the lonely into relationships.


The New York City Urban Project began as a way to bring InterVarsity students to urban areas to live out their faith in real and practical ways. Now, it serves as a bright and shining beacon of service, modeling not just the "how" to serve but the ultimate "why" -- building a movement motivated by love that desires shalom, a peace between all relationships. Students, in partnerships with churches and businesses from all five boroughs, distribute food to the homeless, tutor and mentor students, coach youth sports, advocate for child soldiers/trafficked children, raise money to fight injustice and much more, all the while learning why to seek justice, love mercy and walk humbly.




To give online go to: intervarsity.org/donate. When prompted for name of staff or project write New York City Urban Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment